baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 18:23:45 -0500 (EST)

> > Ron did you ever get this working?
>
> No ! :(
>
> And I have given up trying. No matter what I did, I always get:
> "unknown printer"

I don't even get that. I do lpr filename.ps and nothing happens - nothing
in the queue, the printer does not react.

> But at least SYLPHEED is now working, along with Links, Netscape, and -
> at
> last - mpg123 plays MP3s. And I am about to try installing Opera.static.

Opera was easy, once I followed Steven's instructions instead of using
installpkg. tar -zxvf opera.tgz (the full file name) and then run the
doinstall.sh script (I forget how - sh doinstall.sh?). Opera will work
with even the 2-color mono server but with that one you get no images at
all.

> And I will try to get the ICEWM to stretch to more than 16 colours (I
> have 64
> MB RAM on an AMD K6, with a 2 MB Diamond Stealth video card and a newish
> flat-screen monitor fer-forks-sake). Steven: You have said "increase
> colordepth"
> but I have not yet found a configuration file that has "colordepth" as an
> editable parameter. I still get icewm changing to unreadable colours when I
> place
> the mouse over any application (like Links-colour, Display, XPDF,
> RealPlayer8),
> and anything run in an xterm is in black and white and almost unreadable
> (e.g. MC, Camp, xaumix).

What video chip is on this card? Did you install xsvga.tgz?
With that one I can only get 8-bit color (256 colors). With xvga16 only
16 colors. That is the default unless you install xsvga or another
Xserver and also run xf86config (or setup from another package) and choose
your modes correctly. Did you do both of these?

I can change the color depth with startx for my S3 card with XS3.tgz
installed. I did not see anything called "defaultcolordepth". The
default is 8-bit 256 colors.

startx -- -bpp24 should give 24-bit color if things are working right.
Maybe not with cards that require XSVGA. There is a file Cards that lists
what server is used with what video chip. If you look at the card, you
will see one large chip with a name on it such as S3, Tseng, Trident,
Cirrus, ATI, etc. Stealth is the card maker, not the chip maker. I think
the Cards file also lists things by card name as well as chip name.

What exactly did you do other than install BL2-X.tgz to get to your X
screen with too few colors? It took me a long time to even get 256 colors
working (and I gave up with one S3 Trio64V+ card).

I did some online reading and you can apparently use two video cards (or
one dual-head video card) with either an AGP card and a PCI card (in the
first slot nearest the cpu), setting the CMOS to use AGP as primary video,
or with two PCI video cards in slots 1 and 2. This works with Win98 or
later, and with Linux, even with X on each monitor, same as I did with a
VGA and a Hercules/TTL card/monitor. The description was pretty complex.

> I know it is a steep learning curve, but this one needs cramp-ons and a
> rope!

And a few helpful people pulling from the top.

> BTW: I have found the easiest way to find stuff in MANIFEST.GZ is to view
> (F3) it
> with MC and use the search (F7) facility.

I installed less. I type zless MANIFEST.gz and search with /.