baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:47:08 +0000

Hi Steven,

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:30:36 +1300
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > And I have given up trying.
>
> Really? We had only just started working on your printer.

Ah ! I must have misunderstood.

> > No matter what I did, I always get:
> > "unknown printer"
>
> I wish you had reported that error before giving up.
> It would have given us something to work with.

I thought I had.

> When exactly do you get "unknown printer"?
> When you do the insmods?

No. That seems to go without a hitch.

> When you do the lpd?

No.

> When you try to print something? With lpr?

Yes, and all subsequent attemps to use lpr.

> I suspect that the "unknown printer" arises because
> your printer device is not being found. When you do
> the insmods, what lp device does it activate? lp0? lp1?

lp0

> That device (lp0/lp1) must be the same in your /etc/printcap
> ------------- -------------
> :lp=/dev/lp0: -or- :lp=/dev/lp1:
> ------------- -------------
> Please note: the initial lp on that line is *not* changed,
> nor is the initial lp on the first line.
>
> For your printer to work, your /etc/printcap must be perfect
> (and lpd must be started subsequent to any changes). Even a
> small typographical error can stop everything working. If you
> seriously want to get this working, please make an exact copy
> of your /etc/printcap and show it to us.

It is attached.

> > And with all respect, both PRINT- and USAGE-HOWTO's did not
> > shed any light on the problem.
>
> Then, why didn't you ask here? I realize that Sindi has asked
> several questions about this topic, but her situation is not the
> same as yours.

Seems that some of my queries have gone astray - my ISP's mail server is
sometimes a little flakey. :(

> > If I ever, EVER, consider moving my business from DOS to
> > Linux, it would have to be with a working (and printing)
> > Linux word processer.
>
> At no time have I suggested that people should run a business
> on BasicLinux. BasicLinux is just a mini-distribution. Adding
> applications to BasicLinux requires quite a bit of knowledge.
> Perhaps you should use a fuller version of Linux, that includes
> the desired applications by default (with a user-friendly wizard
> to configure them correctly)?

I am looking to the future, rather than, say, this year. And I AM adding
extra applications to BasicLinux 2.1, including sound (playing of MP3s at
least),
xanim (poor quality mpeg player), RealPlayer8 (and this is a real success,
believe it or not, now that I have more colours in icewm), and the extra
browsers, xpdf, gv, ImageMagic.

> /etc/XF86Config
>
> > that has "colordepth" as an editable parameter.
>
> -------------------------------------
> Section "Screen"
>
> Driver "Accel"
>
> Device "Primary Card"
>
> Monitor "Primary Monitor"
>
> DefaultColorDepth 16
>
> -------------------------------------

Not in my version of that.

> > I still get icewm changing to unreadable colours when I place
> > the mouse over any application (like Links-colour, Display, XPDF,
> > RealPlayer8), and anything run in an xterm is in black and white
> > and almost unreadable (e.g. MC, Camp, xaumix).
>
> Which Xserver are you using? The default Xserver (VGA16) is
> not the best. You will get a much more attractive screen display
> if you install (1) an Xserver with better resolution and (2) some
> additional font packages.

I am using xsvga, and it now works just fine. My video card is a Diamond
Stealth 3D 2000, and the recommended Xserver is xsvga.

> > BTW: I have found the easiest way to find stuff in MANIFEST.GZ
> > is to view (F3) it with MC and use the search (F7) facility.
>
> Links works the same way, except it is right-arrow to view
> and / to search.

Yes it does - just tried it. But I find MC easier to read that white text
on
a black screen. I have asked before, but is there any way to make the CLI
screen
other than black ? I tried editing the Dir-COLORS file, but it didn't change
the
background colours at all.

Regards,
Ron