sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:32:13 +0200

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 09:35:46AM +0200, Bor Kraljič wrote:
> On 24. MES 2011 09:24:01 Thomas Orgis wrote:
> > Generally, for such monolithic stuff like KDE, I am rather fond of the
> > old strategy to put it
> > into a separate prefix, even for the current version.
>
> Like I mentioned. There is really pain in the but to get thing working like
> they should. I
> have all kinds of problems due to finding/installing pc files in the
> correct place searching
> the libs... All that problems would just go away with normal installation.

While I completely understand your position, the stupid thing should
just work with any prefix, this is an upstream problem that needs to be
fixed. Now I understand that we may not have the clout to bring this
about, but I think we should strive to do things right. And as Thomas
mentioned, we're only going to end up in the same predicament once KDE5
comes out, having to make it work with another prefix to be able to
install it side-by-side with KDE4 only to later move it back to /usr
again.

On the other hand, putting it in some random prefix is neither upstream
default, nor is it FHS so it isn't really true to our policies either...

In any case, personally I'd be in favor for putting each KDE version in
it's own prefix like Thomas suggests. It really should be possible and
to me would be "the right thing to do" (tm). Perhaps we could have a
peek at how other distros go about this. We can't be the only ones
putting KDE in a prefix other than /usr. Where does FreeBSD put it btw?

Remko.