sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:20:42 +0200

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:40:02PM +0200, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> We should also rename the old kde spells to kde3 and the kde4 to plain kde
> (later) — upstream is already dreaming about kde5, so it is best to lose
> the
> version suffix for the latest branch or we'll rerun into this issue each
> major
> release.

First off, let me say that I don't use KDE, or any DE for that matter as
most of you will know. However, I'd still like to add my 2 cents.

Is it wise to rename all kde4 spells to kde? We'll only get the same
problems upon the next KDE release. When it comes to things like KDE and
gnome it's more like every new major version is a completely new
project, so why not treat it as such. We could have the kde spell simply
be a profile spell that lets the user choose between any versions we
have available currently, like we do for instance with the ruby profile
spell and the ruby-1.8 and ruby-1.9 spells.

All this renaming only brings extra work, for in my opinion not much
gain.

Remko.