sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:52:55 +0200

On 24. MES 2011 13:20:14 you wrote:
> Am Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:35:46 +0200
>
> schrieb Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si>:

> > Are you prepared to make the spells for Trinity ? We could all have lots
> > of ideas. But in the end we have ask ourself what are we (or I)
> > prepared to do for this problem that our distribution have.

> I tried to build Trinity on a RHEL5 box recently, without success. Don't
> remember the exact issue, but it might have to do with RHEL5 being too old,
> actually. But what's relevant to our discussion: I've spotted that they're
> doing some qt interface layer there that leads me to suspect that one will
> be able to install Trinity without qt3 in future, so that one can die for
> good. This means one can remove all KDE3 and qt3 stuff and someone who
> wants trinity can add it later, still.
Well I just took a quick look at trinity homepage and you need special patch
for qt 3.3.8b to be able to compile it. And also mentiones few problems with
some versions of gcc... So i suspect it might not be that easy to get it
compile.

> And you are right: I don't intend to push it onto you to support that stuff,
> and neither do I see myself doing that as I don't use any KDE stuff myself
> (my folks are on debian with trinity repo). From my POV, go ahead and rip
> out kde3 spells.
Do we have any policy on such mayor grimoire changes? We need to vote maybe?

> > Please do realise that if I will stay alone to fix this. I will most
> > definitely choose the simplest solution that is acceptable.

> The only point I see here, and that is being discussed in other branches of
> this thread, is future upgrades of KDE. Do we want to introduce kde5 spells
> and later migrate those over to the plain names again? And even if KDE5 is
> supposed to be a minor update (why is it a major version bump, then?),
> think about KDE6 or KDE7. It sucks to have such a cycle with the spell
> identities all the time.
>
> Separate (mutually exclusive) grimoires for this kind of stuff is the sane
> way to go, I think. That is a definition of parallel version trains that we
> can support. When folks whant side-by-side installations, they can do
> chroots. Source Mage users, sorry, Mages can. The benefit is that we also
> have control of major upgrades: You switch to new KDE only after adding the
> new grimoire (perhaps with a simple dispel of all spells from the old
> grimoire).
I am pretty sure we would find some pretty acceptable upgrade path for people
when we will have newer version in different grimoire.

> Spells that are not part of KDE, but (optionally) make use of KDE libs can
> stay in the main grimoire, but have dependencies to the separated grimoire.
> We have such stuff already.
>

> Alrighty then,
>
> Thomas.
>
> PS: Perhaps I'm a bitch writing with these flashy long lines to begin with,
> but is it possible to configure your mail client, if it has to break my
> lines, to prepend "> " to the line-broken quotes?
I hope i fixed that now.

PS: Thomas sorry for duplicate mail. Forgot to send it to sm-discuss.