sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:20:14 +0200

Am Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:35:46 +0200
schrieb Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si>:

> Are you prepared to make the spells for Trinity ? We could all have lots of
> ideas. But in
> the end we have ask ourself what are we (or I) prepared to do for this
> problem that our
> distribution have.

I tried to build Trinity on a RHEL5 box recently, without success. Don't
remember the exact issue, but it might have to do with RHEL5 being too old,
actually. But what's relevant to our discussion: I've spotted that they're
doing some qt interface layer there that leads me to suspect that one will be
able to install Trinity without qt3 in future, so that one can die for good.
This means one can remove all KDE3 and qt3 stuff and someone who wants
trinity can add it later, still.

And you are right: I don't intend to push it onto you to support that stuff,
and neither do I see myself doing that as I don't use any KDE stuff myself
(my folks are on debian with trinity repo). From my POV, go ahead and rip out
kde3 spells.

> Please do realise that if I will stay alone to fix this. I will most
> definitely choose the
> simplest solution that is acceptable.

The only point I see here, and that is being discussed in other branches of
this thread, is future upgrades of KDE. Do we want to introduce kde5 spells
and later migrate those over to the plain names again? And even if KDE5 is
supposed to be a minor update (why is it a major version bump, then?), think
about KDE6 or KDE7. It sucks to have such a cycle with the spell identities
all the time.

Separate (mutually exclusive) grimoires for this kind of stuff is the sane
way to go, I think. That is a definition of parallel version trains that we
can support. When folks whant side-by-side installations, they can do
chroots. Source Mage users, sorry, _Mages_ can. The benefit is that we also
have control of major upgrades: You switch to new KDE only after adding the
new grimoire (perhaps with a simple dispel of all spells from the old
grimoire).

Spells that are not part of KDE, but (optionally) make use of KDE libs can
stay in the main grimoire, but have dependencies to the separated grimoire.
We have such stuff already.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.

PS: Perhaps I'm a bitch writing with these flashy long lines to begin with,
but is it possible to configure your mail client, if it has to break my
lines, to prepend "> " to the line-broken quotes?