sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Anyone interested in a mlocate spell?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: Source Mage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT Lists.IBiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Anyone interested in a mlocate spell?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:12:49 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Jeremy Blosser wrote:

2) Do nothing to findutils, but when they install one of the others confirm they mean it, and if they do use alter to fix findutil's logs. This is probably the closest to "what they'd get on their own", but is a brave new world in spell configuration... I don't think we call alter automatically anywhere now.

While testing, after casting my mlocate spell in it's current form, it replaced locate, updatedb, updatedb.conf, and a man page or two from findutils. Afterwords when running cleanse, cleanse noted the files from findutils that had been changed, noted that the md5 sums matched those belonging to mlocate, and happily removed the entries from findutils' logs. If going the option 2 route above, could a trigger such as:

on_cast mlocate check_self

be added to findutils to take care of cleaning up the install and md5 logs? On the other hand, if there is a way to call alter from the mlocate spell, that would probably be a better route.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX