sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Anyone interested in a mlocate spell?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: Source Mage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT Lists.IBiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Anyone interested in a mlocate spell?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:26:11 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:

I'm going to hate myself for saying this, :) but I'd like to modify findutils, & also take on the mlocate spell if Kevin doesn't want to persist with it.

I'd be happy to continue working on mlocate. It's its conflict with findutils, and my brief switch back to Gentoo, that caused me to put it on the back burner.

I'm wondering which is the best way to modify findutils:

1: findutils optionally depends on mlocate.
2: findutils optionally doesn't install locate.

As others have pointed out, any approach one takes to remove locate from findutils deviates from findutils' upstream. On the other hand, mlocate's upstream conflicts with part of findutils' upstream. Should mlocate be avoided because of that, or should users be given the choice of using locate or mlocate as they see fit? Of course, since SMGL likes to give users choices, maybe there should be a slocate spell also.

I've searched the net a bit to see if there's a graceful solution out there. Most of the hits I got were on Debian mailing lists. Debian split locate out of findutils and created a separate locate package. I think Gentoo uses mlocate as their default locate utility. Their ebuild for findutils removes locate from findutils via sed, no questions asked:

sed -i '/^SUBDIRS/s/locate//' Makefile.in

Neither of the above approaches fit well in SMGL's philosophy of leaving upstream alone. Personally I much prefer mlocate over locate and hope there is an SMGLish way to make it available.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX