sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Keyboard and Mouse in xorg-server 1.5.3 [xorg updates no fun]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Keyboard and Mouse in xorg-server 1.5.3 [xorg updates no fun]
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 22:33:51 -0800

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:23:08 +0000
"Ethan Grammatikidis" <eekee57 AT fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:46:14 +0100, "Thomas Orgis"
> <thomas-forum AT orgis.org> said:
> [snip]
> > Keyboard and Mouse just being disabled without warning and no way to
> > recover would be called epic FAIL in certain circles.
> > Why do the xorg people insist on making life hard for users?
>
> What about gcc arbitrarily changing things? Gtk+ forcing use of a
> ridiculous Xorg feature? Glibc suddenly deciding they couldn't be
> arsed to release tarballs? (I think far more people need glibc
> tarballs than the project leads think.)
>
> Why are all these things happening all together?

Because everyone has an idea of The Right Way(TM), don't want to listen
to others, and think those who keep complaining are alone and don't
know what they're talking about.

Case in point: Tarballs are outdated, but CVS is the shiznit and is the
best way to distribute source code (GNU libc team, despite requests
for a tarball from various maintainers)

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285