sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Anyone interested in a mlocate spell?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • Cc: Source Mage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Anyone interested in a mlocate spell?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:34:05 -0800

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 02:37:44PM -0600, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net wrote:
>
> > Isn't findutils part of basesystem? If so, I think we can just rename
> > mlocate's locate to mlocate and slocate's locate to slocate to avoid a
> > conflict.
>
> mlocate and/or slocate's updatedb would also need to be renamed, and
> perhaps their config files. By default mlocate's updatedb uses
> /etc/updatedb.conf, which is the same as findutils' updatedb uses.
>
> Of course, we should probably consider that mlocate and slocate's upstream
> choose to use the same names, locate and updatedb, as findutils does so
> their packages would be drop-in replacement for the locate/updatedb from
> findutils and so users could use the same commands without having to think
> about which locate package their distro is using. It could be argued that
> if one tries to hard to keep findutils' upstream in tact, they are
> going against slocate and/or mlocate's upstream wishes.

Findutils was there first.

Probably the best thing would be to make findutils install locate as
findutils-locate and then POST_INSTALL a symlink.

When mlocate or slocate are installed, set the correct symlink.

I think we should standardize on an answer that can be referred to as a
general policy. Normally we just set them as conflicting, but for
basesystem findutils, that's not doable, so we need to come to an
agreement that has to violate our principle of upstream sanctity one way
or the other.

Seth

--
Seth Alan Woolley

Pacific Green Party of Oregon State Secretary Sr Software Engineer
Parliamentarian, State Coordinating Committee deCarta, RMQ RME RMF

3403 NE Stanton St gnupg.org key 84317E6A = http://swoolley.org/
Portland, OR 97212 8C97 9818 F889 EDE3 B54C Cell: (503) 953-3943
USA, 97212-2744 03 AAD6 E936 BF83 8431 7E6A 45.5438 N 122.6295 W