sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Anyone interested in a mlocate spell?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: Source Mage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Anyone interested in a mlocate spell?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 20:49:06 -0600

On Nov 11, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net [seth AT swoolley.homeip.net] wrote:
> Probably the best thing would be to make findutils install locate as
> findutils-locate and then POST_INSTALL a symlink.
>
> When mlocate or slocate are installed, set the correct symlink.
>
> I think we should standardize on an answer that can be referred to as a
> general policy. Normally we just set them as conflicting, but for
> basesystem findutils, that's not doable, so we need to come to an
> agreement that has to violate our principle of upstream sanctity one way
> or the other.

"Upstream defaults" doesn't necessarily just mean we never touch upstream,
it means that a user gets the same thing from us they'd get if they did the
installs themselves. In this case that would mean they'd get whichever
locate binary they installed last. However, it's sane to ask them first if
they mean it.

There are several options, at least:

1) Let them all conflict with each other, which as noted doesn't work
because findutils is needed for find.

2) Do nothing to findutils, but when they install one of the others confirm
they mean it, and if they do use alter to fix findutil's logs. This is
probably the closest to "what they'd get on their own", but is a brave new
world in spell configuration... I don't think we call alter automatically
anywhere now.

3) Consider [sm]locate as "third party security patches" to findutils,
similar to selinux, though at the full tool replacement level. Prompt
during findutils to ask if they want the security enhancement and if so
patch locate out of findutils and add a depends SECURE_LOCATE or something.
Casting one of the others later on would have to trigger something on
findutils to fix it. This gets near the same end result as 2 but is
perhaps a difference in marketing and a little more proactive.

4) Come up with a full etc-alternatives thing like Debian has. I don't
feel this is a great fit for how SMGL works but it arguably provides the
best buyer's remorse/flexibility after the install.

5) Patch mlocate and slocate to install as mlocate and slocate.
5a) Prompt for either doing this or one of the other compatible options.

I think the onus for making it work is on whoever wants us to have an
mlocate or slocate spell; if the given fix includes changes to findutils,
make sure other people agree that those changes are necessary and proper.