sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Anyone interested in a mlocate spell?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: Source Mage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT Lists.IBiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Anyone interested in a mlocate spell?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:25:20 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, flux wrote:

Can slocate or mlocate provide all the tools that findutils does? If
either provides more than just "locate", then I would say it would be a
good idea to create a spell for slocate and have it CONFLICTS with
findutils. To my knowledge, only findutils provides 'find' etc.

I haven't dug too deep yet but from the searching I've done it also looks to me like findutils is the only package that provides find, etc. I'll keep digging.

Otherwise, we will have to give users the option of hacking the locate out of findutils and going down the messy road. Perhaps we can create a patch to submit upstream that will disentangle locate from findutils (like a --disable-locate configure option or similar). If you get upstream to separate them, then we can safely separate them without having to break from what upstream does.

The impression I get from the few Google searches I've done today is that many distros are moving towards mlocate, or slocate. I'd be surprised if at least some of them hadn't already tried to get findutils upstream to separate locate from findutils. I've looked at Gentoo's finduitls ebuild and Arch's findutils PKGBUILD and they both just remove locate/updatedb "by hand." I'll dig through findutils bug reports to see if it's already been requested and rejected. If not, maybe it's worth a shot to try requesting they and a configure option or similar way to disable locate.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX