sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Patches in grimoires

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Patches in grimoires
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 18:08:56 +0200

Arwed von Merkatz wrote :

> > * a format for patch filenames would be defined
> > an example: 001-2-mypatch.diff
> > arbitrary: SEQ-P-NAME.diff
> > SEQ: sequential number from 000-999
> > P: patchlevel
> > NAME: a name for the patch
> > That's for the filename
>
> I wouldn't encode those in the filename, and I wouldn't use sequence
> numbers. This is with thoughts about a possible future auto-patching. We
> discussed this on irc once, but I don't remember all details, here's
> what I do remember:
> - all metadata about the patch is encoded in special comments, the
> filename is arbitrary
Hmm ok well the NAME is arbitrary anyway.

> - instead of sequence numbers, use dependencies to order patches
Hmmm don't really see that much use for this atleast for now. Maybe get
some cases where this would be usefull over sequences.

> - define a patch-group field, this is for future autopatching to be able
> to switch patch groups on/off depending on other settings in the spell
Hmm well with sequences this can be done in a crude way. This acctually makes
sense though.

> > * If possible ALL patches should be applied in PRE_BUILD
>
> Agreed. There's also the (very unusual) use-case where a patch gets
> applied to system-files or something similar, e.g. the firefox
> initialization patch that gets applied after install. These patches
> should either be left in the main spell dir, or have a metadata setting
> defining them as special.

That's why I wanted the sequence numbers we can define what sequence goes
for what patches. But if that's not the case we can use a special
comment about it. I don't want to have patches spread out all over
the spell dir.

* Comments in patches should be defined
an example:
***START OF DIFF FILE***
## BugUrl: Url to the upstream filed bug about the patch
## Type: [enh|fix|sec|other]
## Depends: patch1
## Depends: patch2
## Group: arbitrary_group
## Special: [BUILD|INSTALL|POST_INSTALL|etc...]
## Patchlevel: 3
THE_PATCH
***END OF DIFF FILE***

The Special: is for patches that are NOT applied in PRE_BUILD but we still
want

to know when they do get applied. So basicaly if it's set then don't apply in
PRE_BUILD. Maybe later there can be autopatching in other files.

Of these fields the following would be mandatory for now:
Description, BugUrl, Type, Patchlevel
--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html

Key id = A7A9E461
Key fingerprint = 757E C16B F5B7 DC27 B003 CCED CF95 3A77 A7A9 E461