sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Patches in grimoires

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Patches in grimoires
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 18:20:25 +0200

Flavien Bridault wrote :

> Is BugUrl really necessary ? I often make patch by myself when I upgrade
> a spell, filling a bug for this is an extra work. Unless this might be
> useful to future integration in stable/stable-rc ?
> Could also this url points to an another bug managers than our bugzilla,
> I mean those from other distros or projects ?

BugUrl points to where the patch can be obtained and this would also be
in 99% of cases UPSTREAM bug manager. Basicaly if you make a patch it's
advisable to send it upstream. We only patch what can't be built or needs
a security fix. So it's advised the patch goes upstream so that there is
no need for it in the next version.

> I would also propose to add the author of the patch. That could be
> useful to give some credits to people who create patch, gurus, our
> users, apprentices or developers from other projects ?

Hmm not a bad idea... but of course non-mandatory ## Author: Name <email>

> > * If possible ALL patches should be applied in PRE_BUILD
> > * Sequential numbers have meaning:
> > Patches that should be applied in PRE_BUILD go from 001 to 899
> > Patches that can't be applied in PRE_BUILD go from 900 to 999
> > 000 is reserved for now
> > Other ranges might be added as well I doubt we will ever have 1000
> > patches
> > in a spell
> > * Final evolution of this would be automatic patching in PRE_BUILD using
> > default_pre_build
>
> I love this last proposal ;-) Adding PRE_BUILD files only to apply a
> patch is quite annoying imho, and I think that's why we often find those
> applying in BUILD which is not correct according to our handbook iirc.

Well I always patch in PRE_BUILD if I can... I even go as far as patching
the templates for autotools just so that I don't have to patch the Makefile
in BUILD.

That's ussualy the annoying part.

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html

Key id = A7A9E461
Key fingerprint = 757E C16B F5B7 DC27 B003 CCED CF95 3A77 A7A9 E461