sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Patches in grimoires

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Patches in grimoires
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 08:30:55 -0700

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 04:36:57PM +0200, Andra?? ruskie Levstik wrote:

> Also I'm thinking about rewamping our user/group handling as atm imho
> it's just a hack. I'm thinking about writting a frontend to the useradd/pw
> tools that would make it more friendly to porting to other platforms.
>
> The thing I don't like about our current handling is that I can't define
> anything BUT name and g/udi which is annoying. I'd basicaly like to be able
> define everything from name to shell with comments and so on.

I agree. Being able to specify comments is always helpful to end users.

> I'd also like a clear definition from where onward are user G/UIDS.
> I'd go with 500 for both but if someone else hase a better idea then please.

The init system and the user add scripts both start from 1000.

I personally hacked the init system a while ago to kill > 1000 on shutdown
instead of 100 to make it consistent with the rest of the system and to
give services a chance to shutdown on their own gracefully.

> The only thing is I'd like to have BOTH gid and uid start at the same
> number.

Sometimes this isn't what people want in some corner cases. I don't think we
need to enforce this in whatever system we setup, despite its advisability.

Seth