sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] process for getting bugfixes and security updates into stable grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] process for getting bugfixes and security updates into stable grimoire
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 12:42:03 +0200

Le vendredi 05 mai 2006 à 20:56 +0200, Arwed von Merkatz a écrit :
> On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 01:35:47PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > On May 05, Arwed von Merkatz [v.merkatz AT gmx.net] wrote:
> > > as the process of how to get fixes into stable(-rc) grimoire apparently
> > > isn't clear to everyone, here's how I think the process should be.
> > > This is mostly a draft to get comments, but we definitely need some
> > > policy like this to ensure stable is as stable as we can get it.
> > > This isn't really anything new, just a clarification of how the process
> > > is supposed to work, extending it to security updates.
> > >
> > > - a new flag "integrate to stable-rc" will get added to bugzilla
> > > - bugs get filed against the highest grimoire in the stability range
> > > that they apply to, i.e. first to stable, then stable-rc, then test
> >
> > I like this clarification, as I haven't been sure on it before. Can we
> > add
> > something about how the fixed/verified/closed flags are to be used? I
> > think we have coommon practice of closing things when they reach the
> > grimoire they were filed against, but I'm not sure that's written down.
>
> Good point, I forgot adding that. Bugs are to be closed once the fix is
> in the grimoire the are filed against. If a bug applies to stable-rc,
> but was filed against test by the reporter, it should be changed to say
> stable-rc for this reason.
>
> > > - bugs get fixed _only_ in test grimoire as usual
> > > - once they're fixed in test, the "fixed in lesser branch" flag is set
> > > to "+", and the "integrate to $BRANCH" flags are set to "?" for the
> > > branches they apply to
> > > - one of the gatekeepers (currently Eric Sandall, Seth Woolley and
> > > myself) approves or denies the request(s) for integration, if it's
> > > denied, an explanation of the reasons is added to the bug
> >
> > Is the APL included in that like I am for other stuff Eric does? I'm
> > asking because I don't know... FWIW I don't really want to be a gatekeeper
> > but will do it if required when none of the rest of you are available for
> > some reason and it's something that can't wait for you.
>
> I wanted to suggest you as a fourth gatekeeper, but if you don't really
> want to do it, I'm sure we can find others. Having one or two more
> gatekeepers is certainly a good idea.

Just a small question (maybe silly :-/ ), I agree that we need
gatekeepers to grant the integration in stable-rc; but do you really
need them to perform the integration ? Can't we trust the maintainer to
do that ? Or is this technically to much different from an integration
from devel to test ?
I could even imagine (but maybe we don't have the technology yet ;-) )
to allow a temporary access to the spell in stable-rc once the
gatekeeper granted the integration.

--
Flavien Bridault

Disk, Graphics, Graphics-libs sections Guru
Source Mage GNU/Linux - http://www.sourcemage.org

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be