sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 13:32:58 -0700

Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
> (I'm sorry that I'm probably breaking the thread by copying & pasting in a
> diff mail client. KMail has issues.)
>
> On Friday 05 May 2006 22:21, Andreas wrote:
>
>> I once pondered about how to make the grimoires more theme oriented as
>> well. And I came up with an alike scheme, so it is at least a little
>> obvious and descriptive.
>>
>> I thought then the four elements as grimoires would make for a nice
>> addition to the theme
>>
>> earth (solid, stable)
>> water (fleeting, test)
>> fire (destructive, devel)
>> air
>>

> I actually like these very much. They're classical, universal, and in my
> opinion, easy to grasp. They even have more meaning to them than most
> trivial
> names.
>
> Think of what a new user generally does: If he doesn't know what a grimoire
> is
> in the first place, he's prone to look it up. And when the document he's
> reading clearly states what grimoire names such as "earth" and "water"
> mean,
> it's a no-brainer.
>
> To put it short, in my opinion "stable & test" and "earth & water" are
> equally
> informative, but the latter example is much more SMGL'ish. We should go for
> that.

I was trying to point out how this would only confuse people. Since we
already defined what earth, water, etc. would be of course they make
sense, but if you're a new user, what does `scribe water` really mean?
Is 'water' fluid, ever changing? A very solid molecule that has little
compression (does this grimoire have no compression utilities? is the
download uncompressed?)? Is 'earth' a dirty grimoire that no one
touches? Do only the miners (developers) play with 'earth'? Does 'fire'
contain the exciting, renewed packages that are changed daily? Perhaps
'fire' contains only spells we want to throw away, but can't, so we
leave them in the 'fiery' pits of Hell?

In short, we should keep the naming scheme we currently have to avoid
confusion and (possibly) endless discussions about how people define a
word such as 'water' and what kind of grimoire it matches.

- -sandalle

- --
http://eric.sandall.us/ | SysAdmin @ Shock Physics @ WSU