sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Vote changes proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Vote changes proposal
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:45:36 +0200

Benoit wrote:
> As far as the sorcery team is concerned, leaded by Andrew, it seems (at
> least reading this mailing list) that he is the only active member of
> his team producing, releasing and testing the whole sorcery software.
>
> As far as the ISO team is concerned, leaded by Unet, it seems that only
> me, BearPerson and David Kowis are the active members. So Unet is kinda
> inactive (except he seems to test every ISO release, especially x86-64
> ... but without reporting publicly the test report).

Who cares what the people "have been doing"?
A team lead's responsibility (IMO) is to make sure that the particular
area of SMGL gets work done. However, we do not need to write that anywhere.
If you are happy with a certain branch, everything is good.
If you are unhappy and blaming the team lead, these new rules would simply
allow you to try and vote him out.

So if you're (for example) pissed off at Unet because you feel like he is
not doing anything in the team, feel free to request a re-vote and suggest
someone as a replacement, and get two other developers to second it. (if you
can't convince even two other people of your opinion I honestly don't see
how you could possibly hope to get through with the vote)

So the point is, it actually does not matter if someone does not do the job
as described in some fictional job description. It only matters if the
majority of the developers think he does a good job.

And if you don't have a replacement and want to vote someone out, well, all
I say is that "nobody" will surely not do a better job than anyone that
could possible be in the position.

Well, just my 2 cents explaining how I see this process,
So Far,
Karsten