sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Vote changes proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Vote changes proposal
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:53:14 -0700

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:09:14PM +0200, Karsten Behrmann wrote:
> "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx> wrote:
> > Also I think PL and any other lead can have a veto on any vote
> > "just-in-case"
> > or atleast PL can have a veto on any team lead vote... thus preventing of
> > ppl
> > tryingto kill the project...
> Well, it wouldn't really do to have people be able to veto themselves in,
> would
> it? And as for the "help, my project is being taken over" thing, I think we
> would probably just deny them the right to vote as core developers or just
> collectively move out and re-group.
> I mean, there's nothing completely legally binding about the lead positions
> or
> the voting, for me the lead is who I accept as lead, and I usually accept
> the majority's vote.
> Though I do hope that's not gonna happen.
> So Far,
> Karsten

Plans are to form a non-profit corporation to gain tax exemption. That
involves some legal bindings. Generally though each team lead controls
who can be developers. Maybe instead PL or a vote of all team leads can
be given veto power over who can be a developer preventing a single team
lead from granting a thousand people developer rights and thus taking
over. Personally I would select a vote of all team leads, since that's
what I'm used to in other organizations.

Having seen organizations taken over before, we need one fallback
provision for self-defense. Properly-worded escape clauses can also
help avoid litigation attacks, "The Team Leads are responisble for
interpreting organizational documents." is a pretty safe one.

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Security Team Member Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Pacific Green Party of Oregon