sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] x86-64 arch specfile not x86-64

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: sergey AT optimaltec.com
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] x86-64 arch specfile not x86-64
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:24:23 -0500

Quoting "David Michael Leo Brown Jr." <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>:

> >I have a pure 64-bit system without multilib too. I also made a full
> >sorcery
> >rebuild, which was successful with devel grimoire. All fixes are submitted
> >their respective spells. I will be integrating them into test soon.
>
> I have several additions to spells that need them, ie nvidia_driver,
> jdk1.5-bin
> do you have those done yet?
>
> >After installing from the ISO, I booted from a Knoppix CD, moved all stuff
> from
> >/lib64 to /lib and from /usr/lib64 to /usr/lib, then made symlinks. Both
> >gcc
> >and g++ now have "no multilib" option that is the default on x86_64.
> >/etc/ld.so.conf only has /lib, /usr/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib.

After the surgery but before booting from the system itself, I ran ldconfig
with
"chroot" option to rebuild the loader configuration.

> My install process was a little different... I installed the iso then booted
> it, however, when I started to compile stuff bash failed and I had to use
> bash.static to compile the dependancies of bash then compile bash manually
> to then get bash installed properly, then basesystem compiled fine, I
> recompiled
> everything in basesystem about 3 times before I was satisfied that it was
> working. So I still have separate lib and lib64 dirs. I still added
> --disable-multilib to glibc gcc g++ and gcc-cvs ;)

The bash didn't fail for me but I wanted pure 64 bits to begin with so I went
ahead with "remodeling" anyway. Also, if you disabled multilib, I believe it
will only become more difficult for you to keep both lib and lib64.

> >I had to add "#define HaveLib64 NO" to host.def for xorg. That's enough to
> build
> >it, but not enough to run :-). Xorg's ELF loader fails on startx.
>
> I didn't have that and X compiled fine I don't know if it's because of the
> lib
> links thing or what... and it starts fine too, I'm using xfce4.2 right now.

I probably had some component enabled that you didn't have. My build process
complained about unlinkable relocation types that happen if PIC option is
removed (as it was in xorg). Now, I'm testing xorg with PIC and glibc loader
instead of X's own module loader (MakeDllmodules YES). From wiki.x.org, this
appears to be preferred configuration now.

> >There are several spells that misbehave on 64-bit system. Some has bad
> assembler
> >inside, some don't recognize the archspecs, etc. Some are easily fixable,
> >others... I have no idea.
>
> There's a patch I made for config.sub to accept x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu and
> I've applied it to 4 spells so far (same patch); glib, dhcpcd, a2ps, gtk+,
> so
> far. Other spells are pretty obvious jdk1.5-bin and nvidia_driver need the
> amd64
> binary...

dhcpcd works fine here from devel grimoire without any modifications, the
rest I
didn't try. glib and gtk+ are rather old beasts, I'd suggest going the gtk+2
route. xfce4 uses it anyway.

Sergey.