sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] x86-64 arch specfile not x86-64

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Michael Leo Brown Jr." <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] x86-64 arch specfile not x86-64
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:55:28 -0400 (EDT)

>I have a pure 64-bit system without multilib too. I also made a full sorcery
>rebuild, which was successful with devel grimoire. All fixes are submitted to
>their respective spells. I will be integrating them into test soon.

I have several additions to spells that need them, ie nvidia_driver,
jdk1.5-bin
do you have those done yet?

>After installing from the ISO, I booted from a Knoppix CD, moved all stuff
>from
>/lib64 to /lib and from /usr/lib64 to /usr/lib, then made symlinks. Both gcc
>and g++ now have "no multilib" option that is the default on x86_64.
>/etc/ld.so.conf only has /lib, /usr/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib.

My install process was a little different... I installed the iso then booted
it, however, when I started to compile stuff bash failed and I had to use
bash.static to compile the dependancies of bash then compile bash manually
to then get bash installed properly, then basesystem compiled fine, I
recompiled
everything in basesystem about 3 times before I was satisfied that it was
working. So I still have separate lib and lib64 dirs. I still added
--disable-multilib to glibc gcc g++ and gcc-cvs ;)

>I had to add "#define HaveLib64 NO" to host.def for xorg. That's enough to
>build
>it, but not enough to run :-). Xorg's ELF loader fails on startx.

I didn't have that and X compiled fine I don't know if it's because of the lib
links thing or what... and it starts fine too, I'm using xfce4.2 right now.

>There are several spells that misbehave on 64-bit system. Some has bad
>assembler
>inside, some don't recognize the archspecs, etc. Some are easily fixable,
>others... I have no idea.

There's a patch I made for config.sub to accept x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu and
I've applied it to 4 spells so far (same patch); glib, dhcpcd, a2ps, gtk+, so
far. Other spells are pretty obvious jdk1.5-bin and nvidia_driver need the
amd64
binary...

But that's the report from Dave's House on the x86-64 progress ;)

- David Brown

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com