permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Earthships

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: ossi@kulma.net
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Earthships
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 13:15:43 +0200

Hi Toby et al.

Sorry to tell you, but it seems like you have not explored this issue enough and I suggest you are wrong with the proposed assumption regarding carbon storage in trees. Such growth pattern you describe as universal would apply only on trees grown in cleared open areas, f.e. after a clearcut or as if timber is left in seed-tree positions after harvest. Now if we compare to old growth forests this "universality" does not apply. As an example I have found more than 100 year old spruces grown from total darkness of dense undergrowth so that they are only apx. 15 cm in diameter but when dead seem to be more durable in use than most of the metals I know about. That kind of wood is heavy even if is totally dry. In any of the (semi)natural boreal forests I've seen that "universal" pattern you describe doesn't apply unless it disturbed strongly by human intervention, which equals to collapse in amount of stored carbon.

Rate of growth is very simple thing but big growth rings do not relate to with how much carbon is stored in the tree. You can have 3 times fatter tree grown in 15 years, but when you cut that tree down and dry it - it can be lifted with single hand as there is not really carbon stored in their cells, but rather empty space between relatively fragile cell walls and their fresh weight was due to enormous amount of water that was there. Due to large cell structures that kind of fast grown wood doesn't really have any other use than to shade ground for natural forest to regenerate with accumulated density, which stores the carbon for longest periods available.

In contemporary Finland current construction wood sales are providing mostly too low quality wood, so that they need to make composite elements out of the wood-material available and therefore it is becoming rare to find single timber being publicly sold as construction wood - as they do not have much of such timber available due to unsustainable forest management which was widely adopted since the 2nd world war. I'd think that old trees that grow slowly have just achieved their adulthood and would likely store at least 1000 times more carbon both in dry weight and durability in time than any fast grown crap from the pulp plantations.

So what comes to the forest management practice you describe, yes that is useful in terms of fast supply for timber (which can be stored in buildings for 500 years as you say), but do not relate that to optimal carbon storage of trees as their capacity under such management is not even nearly the optimum that can be achieved. Also in terms of ecology leaving the oldest trees growing should also apply especially if permaculture principles are seriously taken under consideration. I strongly suggest that maths regarding such issues should follow logic like this: more density, more carbon there will be stored and more durable that carbon is within extended periods of time. Of course there is somewhere a point where the growth rate could be too little and cells get fragile due to that, but generally in GOOD quality trees one likely cannot read the growth rings without magnification as they are far less than 0,5 mm.

Second thing that I would like to mention is that when trees "rot" in forest they do not release all their carbon as CO2 into atmosphere as under such conditions any CO2 released would be heavier than air and therefore unless being technologically shot up into the sky would float under forest canopy and would be most of the year captured directly at least by conifers or their lichen partners. Also a lot of carbon that was in decomposed wood especially in case of the old growth forest would be circulated by fungi within the system and be either stored in soil or in community of living beings.

Now, please keep up the good work you're doing.
Thank you for you are and kind wishes for all sentient beings.

Ossi Kakko
(Eastern Fennoscandia)