permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Earthships

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Earthships
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 20:59:48 -0400

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
wrote:

> build small, exactly what space you must have
>> use extremely durable materials
>> use easy or no maintenance materials
>> use super insulation for year round comfort
>> use thermal heat storage in winter (the floor and walls (interior) that
>> serve to keep living space cool in summer combined with appropriate roof
>> overhangs
>>

> 1)
> Build on high ground well drained and substrate compacted
> 2)
> Pour monolithic slab on grade (slab and footings one piece)
> 3)
> Lay up exterior walls with heavy concrere blocks with door and window
> openings
> 4)
> Glue rigid foam insulation panels to interior surface of wall, 8" worth
> minimum, preferably 10" or 12"
> 5)
> lay up interior heavy concrete block wall to finish cavity wall with
> cavity insulation
> OR skip 4) and spray heavy duty waterproof foam insulation into wall
> cavity after laying up interior wall
> 6)
> glue 6-8" rigid foam insulation to floor, between rows of bricks or blocks
> to support slab to be poured over insulation for final finished concrere
> floor
> 7) pour finish floor - use 6000 psi indoor concrete without fiber(glass)
> and finish to a glasslike finish - do what is necessary to prvent slab
> cracking - this usually means sawing grooves in the slab.
> 8)
> For a wooden floor simply glue pressure treated lumber to slab and nail
> plywood subflooring to that. I would recommend spraying foam insulation
> between the pressure treated lumber strips (1 1/2" gap) attached to
> concrete floor, under the subflooring. I would spray foam then immediately
> attach the subflooring so it can become glued to the wet insulation and
> harden in place creating great floor structural rigidity. Then nail final
> flooring down.
> 9) Finish framing the structure.
> 10) Insulate stud space wherever there are stud walls, if any, with spray
> foam insulation, the heavy duty waterproof kind. Finish roof framing and
> insulate the rafters the same way. Use plywood for ceiling then cover with
> panelling of choice.
> 11) Roof structure with galvanized, prepainted 26 gauge (minimum) metal
> roofing available anywhere.
> 12) Go minimalist an super mega hyper insulation. Concrere interior and
> exterior walls, inexpensive, lifetime, zero maintenance, fireproof,
> rotproof, attractive
> no paint needed. Go for architectural overruns from concrete block
> manufacturer/distributor; they always have them for way less than half full
> retail or less.

If you choose to build a new structure from scratch and are sparing about
overall size and design complexity, building
a singe family dwelling, say 16'X32 (12' sidewalls providing 8' first floor
and 4' loft/6-7' ceiling roof: 4/12 - 5/12 pitch)
built using the materials and methods listed above could easily last 100
years, possibly 150 and serve the needs of 4 time the number of original
occupants during its effective lifespan. Building a structure like this
gives you extreme energy efficiency, zero maintenance, maximum durability
and at low cost and considering the number of people who could ultimately
use this structure a very low carbon footprint and minimum pollution.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com