permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Earthships

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Earthships
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 11:59:15 -0600

All of the "new" building technology is actually centuries old, except for
building with tires. Most all of them have a very good reason for use,
depending on the climatic conditions of where one wants to build. Strawbale
is not called for in a humid tropical climate it is a waste of resources and
energy. Strawbale makes excellent sense in the temperate steppes around the
world, certainly much more sensible than the petroleum based "super"
insulation. Wattle and daub is a perfect building technique for humid
tropics and has been since man moved out of the caves and into self
constructed homes.

The main thing is, is it appropriate to the region, are materials readily
available, and is it non-toxic. Any time one can skip the industrial process
in building one is saving money, damage to the environment, and using ones
head.

I have always looked at tire structures, or earthships for the sensitive
types, as a novelty technisque developed by an incredible narcissistic
architect following in the tradition of the dirt in a bag school or "super
adobe". In the first place these techniques are far from the do it yourself
bargains they are touted to be and in the second place in the case of tire
houses one is encasing oneself is a product that out gasses radioactive gases
left over from the curing processes of vulcanization. The only place I would
use tires is as a way to stabilize steep slopes cheaply.

If it is appropriate one should always incorporate dirt and vegetation from
the place where one is building. I have seen adobe structures all over the
world because the material is basically free if one has the place on which to
use it. Cobb is another building technique using the earth and vegetation of
place to create inexpensive homes they are all over the British Isles, and
much of the coastal regions of Europe.

All of the techniques are named from the materials used for wall construction
which only represents around 20% of the total building costs so the most one
can save is 20% and that is if you don't count labor.