permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Earthships

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "scrooge McDuck" <declan@planetmail.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Earthships
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 22:44:46 +0200

Please do. With my world view, fresh ideas are always welcome. I never saw the benefit of straw bale. How long is that going to last? Ditto whittle or beer can walls.
--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Location Dublin Ireland.
On 26/07/2016, 20:44 Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM, scrooge McDuck <declan@planetmail.net>
wrote:

> So nobody on this list has one? I thought there would be several. Surely
> Earthships dovetail with Permaculture?

Its straw bale, wattle and daub, cob, etc. I would live in a tent before
wasting my time and money on any of this tech-NO-logy.
The Earthships have been around for a long time and are very neat, very
stylized, some of them, at the expense of real functionality, cost and
maintenence; they lack attention to detail, especially merging surfaces and
contours and overall year round temperature moderation and many of them are
way too big.

My take on this is:

build small, exactly what space you must have
use extremely durable materials
use easy or no maintenance materials
use super insulation for year round comfort
use thermal heat storage in winter (the floor and walls (interior) that
serve to keep living space cool in summer combined with appropriate roof
overhangs

this really works
I can provide details on materials and building techniques if anyone is
interested; will post to the list.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London