permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Earthships

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Earthships
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 18:02:00 -0400

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My take on this is:
>
> build small, exactly what space you must have
> use extremely durable materials
> use easy or no maintenance materials
> use super insulation for year round comfort
> use thermal heat storage in winter (the floor and walls (interior) that
> serve to keep living space cool in summer combined with appropriate roof
> overhangs
>
> this really works
> I can provide details on materials and building techniques if anyone is
> interested; will post to the list.

Bona fide permaculture survival nuts and bolts dwelling design and
construction.

1)
Build on high ground well drained and substrate compacted
2)
Pour monolithic slab on grade (slab and footings one piece)
3)
Lay up exterior walls with heavy concrere blocks with door and window
openings
4)
Glue rigid foam insulation panels to interior surface of wall, 8" worth
minimum, preferably 10" or 12"
5)
lay up interior heavy concrete block wall to finish cavity wall with cavity
insulation
OR skip 4) and spray heavy duty waterproof foam insulation into wall cavity
after laying up interior wall
6)
glue 6-8" rigid foam insulation to floor, between rows of bricks or blocks
to support slab to be poured over insulation for final finished concrere
floor
7) pour finish floor - use 6000 psi indoor concrete without fiber(glass)
and finish to a glasslike finish - do what is necessary to prvent slab
cracking - this usually means sawing grooves in the slab.
8)
For a wooden floor simply glue pressure treated lumber to slab and nail
plywood subflooring to that. I would recommend spraying foam insulation
between the pressure treated lumber strips (1 1/2" gap) attached to
concrete floor, under the subflooring. I would spray foam then immediately
attach the subflooring so it can become glued to the wet insulation and
harden in place creating great floor structural rigidity. Then nail final
flooring down.
9) Finish framing the structure.
10) Insulate stud space wherever there are stud walls, if any, with spray
foam insulation, the heavy duty waterproof kind. Finish roof framing and
insulate the rafters the same way. Use plywood for ceiling then cover with
panelling of choice.
11) Roof structure with galvanized, prepainted 26 gauge (minimum) metal
roofing available anywhere.
12) Go minimalist an super mega hyper insulation. Concrere interior and
exterior walls, inexpensive, lifetime, zero maintenance, fireproof,
rotproof, attractive
no paint needed. Go for architectural overruns from concrete block
manufacturer/distributor; they always have them for way less than half full
retail or less.

I can provide even more detail regarding construction and materials.
--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com