permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A school near a terraced rice field in Vietnam

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jay Woods <woodsjaya@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A school near a terraced rice field in Vietnam
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 12:48:57 -0800

I have the NV_Topaz_Lake_20120208_TM_geo.pdf USGS map for 2012. It has 40 ft
contour intervals.

I have looked at the http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ site and am unable to find
out how
to get USGS topo maps.

I have looked at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bav_t8qw2Mc&list=FLurvi9wn9MostmWFrrirmWg
It will take another couple of trips through the video. The first problem is
that the
resolution is too course to follow what is going on. I don't know at this
point if the
problem is operator error or the resolution just isn't there. I am
downloading Sketchup
Make for 2013 for comparison purposes. Then I need to figure out where to get
the
starting file and in what format.

Since Adobe and Firefox are fighting and the USGS is using Flash, I had to
switch over
to Chrome. The TopoView doesn't offer anything in addition to the published
map
beyond political correctness. (There is a lot of ground labeled Washoe
Ranches Trust
Land that is only true in the distant past despite resetting the time scale.)
The
geology hasn't improved from the Topaz Lake 15' map of 1981. There is no
later work
on the area or the formation names. The formation names are catchalls from
the rock
types point of view. I get to do my own collecting and classifying.

The climate was looked up: between 20 and less than 10 and whatever the
climate we
are in a drought of 50% less. The actual rainfall is elevation dependent and
likely less
than 10 inches. We have picked up less than 1 inch so far this Winter.

The soils are also a catchall and thin:

*Properties and qualities *
* Slope: 15 to 30 percent
* Surface area covered with cobbles, stones or boulders: 2.0 percent
* Depth to restrictive feature: 12 to 20 inches to lithic bedrock
* Drainage class: Well drained
* Capacity of the most limiting layer to transmit water (Ksat): Very
low (0.00 to
0.00 in/hr)
* Depth to water table: More than 80 inches
* Frequency of flooding: None
* Frequency of ponding: None
* Available water capacity: Very low (about 1.7 inches)
All the above are the reasons for moving the soil cover to terraces. The soil
can then
hold a reasonable amount of water for at least water thrifty plants of the
region. With
the drought we have even the sagebrush will die and the pinyon pines are
already in
deep trouble.

The field guide has ideas I haven't considered. I'll need to study it to see
what can be
applied to thin soils.

Yes, I'd like to see what is going on further North. It is a couple of hours
away and will
take some arranging. I don't travel well or much.