permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alfalfa

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Pittman" <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alfalfa
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:28:16 -0600

While I am against GMO anything, I am particularly against GMO alfalfa.
Alfalfa has become one of the largest commodity crops in the southwest,
every day I see semi-truck loads of alfalfa on the highway from Colorado to
Texas and Oklahoma.

Alfalfa is a great soil conditioner and is great protein for livestock but I
follow the Mollison rule "never sell of the farm what can't walk off the
farm". To produce alfalfa as an export crop is essentially mining the soil
for export, a form or strip mining, or clear cutting. Unless the manure of
the animals is returned to the soil then there is an annual net loss to soil
fertility. Yet another reason that it is difficult to accomplish
permaculture without animals.

Ideally we grow crops with the least loss of biomass from the land; That
would be fruit and vegetables, or grains if the straw is chopped and
reincorporated into the soil.

MY .02

Scott

"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way.
On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing."
~Arundhati Roy