permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alfalfa

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alfalfa
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:54:34 -0400

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Lawrence London
<lfljvenaura@gmail.com>wrote:

> > On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Frances and David <fdnokes@hotmail.com
>>> on
>>>
>> Update from another conversation I had with a friend:
M:

> The lands of the Four Rivers are exactly the lands where everyone lives
>> today in the Near East. So the site of the original "Garden of Eden" is a
>> place that cannot be found. It "is" where everybody now is.
>> You take a nice garden. Invite half a billion people to live there.
>> Give them 5,000 years to plow it up, try out their non-sustainable farming
>> practises, crap on it...
>>
> L:

> Remember also the destruction of all those oil wells in Iraq and the
>> resulting fires and smoke pollution? Of course they will restore Iraqi
>> agriculture to its former glory, with monsanto controlling the process
>> (someone put that in the revised Iraqi constitution) using gmo seeds,
>> herbicide, no telling what other pesticides, chemical fertilizers, non
>> sustainable tillage and other cultural practices....all to profit a very
>> small number of corporate persons and their stockholders.
>>
> M:

> And then you have what it is now. A treeless flat dusty spot, where it
> hits 130 degrees in the summertime. The former Garden of Eden.

M:
The Monsanto Plan, of course, is for them to end up with the ownership
rights to every plant and seed that can be grown and eaten. And they're
surprisingly far along the way. There has been little or no resistance on
the part of any of the politicians they have bribed to get their
ownership-enabling laws passed... because the politicians really don't have
any strong feelings about this. It's just more crap, more bla-bla
justifying their presence in Congress, that's all.
But to the rest of the human species, it should be a very big deal. Because
what they're proposing is to winkle away from us our very rights to occupy
the planet and to freely be able to grow what sustains us-- without having
to pay anyone claiming to "own" it. That is, own the very concept of
agriculture.
The beauty, from Monsanto's point of view, of "owning" certain varieties of
wind-pollinated crops is that the very breath of air carries their
ownership far and wide. So that ultimately there's not an ear of corn grown
anywhere on earth that doesn't carry within its genes the stamp of their
ownership. Even the savage out in the pampas of Paraguay, who may never
have even heard the name Monsanto in his lifetime, grows a crop owned by
them.