permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alfalfa

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alfalfa
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:19:09 -0000

I think the main idea is to have some gm alfalfa contaminate all other alfalfa by pollen drift. Whether they pay some dumb farmer to grow the gm type or whether they mix in gm seed with regular seed or whether they have to rent a piece of land to grow it themselves. Then they can take all alfalfa growers to court to make them pay up. If they could they would gm and patent drinking water and the air we breathe. That is what it is all about.
And the gm companies make the law of the land, they are part of the government.
You can tell those "pro- technology" idiots that science has moved on in the last 20 years and that gm is now scientifically proven unsafe in all respects. The central dogma, one gene - one protein, that was the only scientific justification for doing gm fell with the conclusion of the human genome project. Reality is a lot more complex and not half understood even today.

John

Does anyone have any clue as to how ge alfalfa is justified? or promoted?

As far as I know, alfalfa is the treasure of farmers...
Easy to grow, highly nutritious, deep nitrogen fixing roots.
We are in the midst of discussions here: a moratorium on ge crops on Vancouver Island, with a local contingency that is ‘pro-technology’ in farming having most recently been aroused.

Alfalfa and a ge apple seem to be key issues for us here at the moment.

Thanks,
Frances