permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fast growing nitro fixers, semi tropics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fast growing nitro fixers, semi tropics
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 04:29:15 -0700 (PDT)

Casaurina is terribly invasive here. It drowns out everything else, sucks up
the water in the everglades, and nothing else grows in Casaurina stands. I
mean literally, nothing. Not one weed. The needles and how close the pines
grow doesn't allow anything else to grow. This is why I'm careful with what I
bring into this system.

We use moringa liberally. I plant many moringa wherever I go. It is a very
strong tree for this area, but it is not nitrogen fixing. It is a dynamic
accumulator though. I haven't been able to bring myself to chop it for
biomass, or use it for that because it has so many other incredible uses. But
it does grow fast, from cuttings and seed both, so it is really a viable
source for biomass. It also doesn't get that big, so is perfect in many ways.
This tree really is a miracle tree on many fronts. It is my favorite
permaculture tree here. It does freeze back, but comes right back and gets 20
feet tall or taller in one season. An amazing life giving tree!!!

Tamarind grows here in certain neighborhoods, it will freeze out in others.
Same with Ice Cream Bean. We literally have zone changes from block to block
because of the marine influence and the jet stream which reaches all the way
down Florida sometimes. Carob likes it more dry than here - Mediterranean is
perfect. But I want to try to grow some anyway, because I love it. Tipi Tipu
gets too big for most backyards here, but could be used for chop and drop. A
couple of people are using it here.

I've used some of the Zone 4 plants you've mentioned. Again, I'm planting on
an indian reservation and will not bring in anything that might alter their
ecosystem, out of aggressiveness. It is just not my call to do that on
someone else's soveriegn land. I'll check out everything you mentioned - I'm
not familiar with a few of them.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow