permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fast growing nitro fixers, semi tropics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fast growing nitro fixers, semi tropics
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 17:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

Jason, Thanks for this info. What you said about Gleditsia is what I found
too, when I researched. Just wondered if I was missing something! I love
those trees for many reasons - have planted hundreds at Pine Ridge in South
Dakota and they are tough trees (which they need to be), but not sure they
would do so well in Zone 9B in Florida. Maybe I'll try it and see! I forgot
about false indigo so thank you for reminding me. That might work for one
site i'm working. I do have a lot of smaller plants I use like cowpea, pigeon
pea, winged bean, long bean, lablab, clitoria, etc. Specifically looking for
canopy trees or fast growing fodder trees that provide multiple functions
(shade, building soil, etc). I am familiar with the native wax myrtle but not
other varieties.

I've seen the strophostyles helvola, but hadn't yet IDed the Latin name, so
thank you.

Different subject, anybody try Pawlonia in Zone 4, or Zone 9B?

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition