permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fast growing nitro fixers, semi tropics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fast growing nitro fixers, semi tropics
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 23:07:07 -0400

On 10/18/2012 8:37 PM, Cory Brennan wrote:
I hear you, I use cowpea as my canary to see if stuff has been sprayed. Even
when people say it hasn't, sometimes it has.

That is a very good idea about live oak. I'll forward it!

I have a piece of live oak cut to size for a block plane dai. I can closeup photograph it and attach the pic to you if you want to see it for real. It is hard as a rock and is perfect for woodworking tools and handles. The only oak that is as hard or harder is Japanese white oak with Japanese red oak running a close second. These woods are used extensively in the crafting of traditional Japanese tools for Japanese joiners (woodworkers). Live oak grows all over the southern and mid- atlantic coastal region and in the deep south. It is an extremely valuable economic plant and should be sustainably harvested and stands of it should be carefully maintained and preserved. Actually it will grow in Chapel Hill but maybe they grow larger in warmer climates, don't know.

If you want more info on things you can make out of live oak let me know, especially woodworking applications. I have a large collection of information on this subject.

What about the seaweed; can you harvest any where you are?

LL