permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fast growing nitro fixers, semi tropics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Neil Bertrando <neilbertrando@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fast growing nitro fixers, semi tropics
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 20:03:21 -0700

good to know.

not bad overstory trees to include even if not support sp. though.

in this case, I would lower the planting ratios to true n-fixing overstory
at initial planting, but might use them as my permanent overstory and be
more selective with variety.

besides nodule formation, growth rate and above ground tissue analysis of
C:N are useful for fnal analysis and use plans.

where I have seen and eaten Tamarind, they seem to prefer 'drier' ground,
so siting with drainage like on a swale mound would be my first choice in a
wetter area like florida.

Carob as well I would strive for drier microclimates in humid areas, but
still throw it into the mix as a trial. or ask locals for a reference
point.

I always appreciate any other research or data or anectodes.

some quick links

carob
http://greenharvest.com.au/SeedOrganic/FruitTrees/CarobGrowingInformation.html
http://www.underutilized-species.org/documents/Publications/carob_tree.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratonia_siliqua
http://www.worldagroforestry.org/treedb2/AFTPDFS/Ceratonia_siliqua.pdf

Tamarind
http://www.cropsforthefuture.org/publication/Manuals/tamarind%20manual.pdf
this is an interesting find
http://hort.ufl.edu/database/documents/pdf/tree_fact_sheets/lysbaha.pdf the
cuban tamarind that grows wild in Florida totally different genus according
to this...
http://www.worldagroforestry.org/downloads/publications/PDFs/BC07320.PDF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarind

tossing pinion and walnut seeds in the ground to prep for the wet season
today.
best of luck in your works,
neil