permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The US is no longer food self-reliant?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The US is no longer food self-reliant?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 10:43:10 -0400

On 8/17/2012 10:13 AM, Marjory wrote:

The US is NOT food self-reliant. It take IMPORTERD oil to grow all the
food the US produces. Currency collapse means no way to buy feul, means
the combines quit rolling, and the shelves go bare.

Fascinating thought. If we only used domestic oil (includes Canadian and Mexican) then we might be able to be food self-sufficient just through the combination of large scale farms producing seed/grain/bean
products and local farms producing everything else, of course marketing
what is in season (people can grow their own or be content with what is being harvested in their area) with minimum import of products from other states in different climatic zones. All, to save fuel and machinery.

With the just-in-time food delivery system we have in the US, a 'few
months to sort things out' means starvation for most Americans.

The US is the largest exporter of grain in the world - yet we only
export about 10% to 15% of what we grow. I agree there is plenty of
food - if you consider gmo crops food (I don't). Ethanol and wastage
are two huge areas we 'could' improve in - and where is the politcal
will for that? The one positive thing to come of this severe drought
will be the pressure to get rid of the ethonal madate.

I have no problem acknolegding fear and taking appropriate action.

Good for you, Marjory.

Marjory Wildcraft