permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The US is no longer food self-reliant?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Daniel Jager <dfjager@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The US is no longer food self-reliant?
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:19:53 -0700 (PDT)

Your complex systems adaptation-idea is interesting, but not very realistic
in my view. You seem to put a lot of faith in the technological / mechanical
interconnectedness of things. But it is precisely the interconnectedness of
PEOPLE that is lacking, and this, in the end, will always break apart
whatever 'systems' we have created together.

And fit seems to me we can't make a new 'system' that will *teach* us to be
nice and good with Nature and good to our fellow man. Spiritual giants, far
far above our present state, have tried. And the resulting systems have
utterly failed. Just look at the world what Christians, Muslims, Jews,
Buddhists, Hindus, etc are doing to themselves, to others and to Nature. Most
societies are just a thin veneer of 'respectability', painted over an utterly
confused and violent collection of creatures. Put a little added stress on
him, and uhhmm... New Orleans, Katrina, anyone?

Hence I have no faith in 'systems', if the people in that system will not
change. And personal change, I think, cannot be 'taught', for many have
tried, and we are still here, in the same predicament as before.

And can we truly predict which systems will fail and which succeed? In this I
do agree with you; people and systems will have to adapt. If they can't, they
will collapse or simply fade away with time. If they can, then the change
will likely be a positive one.

About food actually increasing in the system this year. This viewpoint is
very USA-centric. Where did this imported food come from? How do the people
in those export-countries live? Perhaps we should look into the very
unilaterally beneficial *fixed export quota* that the USA has with many
developing nations like Honduras, Costa Rica, the Philippines, to name but a
few. The richness that the US has is mostly stolen; through coercion,
bribery, or through outright acts of theft and violence.
I can say these things, since I come from the Netherlands, which, with their
merchants, have scoured the Earth for wealth and were very successful at it;
especially considering how tiny a country we are. Doesn't change the fact
that it is theft, though. I personally had the benefits and the nice
education (mostly free), etc, but I never saw the true cost until I came to
Southeast Asia.

I am not so sure if an 'adaptation' of these systems is a positive thing in
the eyes of the peoples in other parts of the world.

>From my point of view, growing you own food is an excellent survival and
>teaching strategy.
First of all, we reconnect ourselves directly with Nature. This should be
step 1 for everyone. "Stop yepping, start getting mud on your hands".

Second: By being even partly self-reliable, you get faith restored in your
own abilities: faith in the strength of one's limbs, faith in one's
common-sense (without the need for 'degrees'), faith in the people one works
with...

Third: I find that most people around me have NO concept of Nature, about
planting, and have NO sensitivity to trees, plants, animals, vegetables,
fruits and seeds anymore. It doesn't even occur to them why, how, when or
where to start 'growing food' or 'connect with Nature', even though they wear
T-shirts of 'Save the Planet' and "Stop climate-change'. Doing step 1,
without talk, automatically draws in other people. Makes them curious, makes
them wonder, makes some of them start small for themselves perhaps. This is
an remarkably powerful and positive thing that one can do, purely by
'individually growing one's own food', but doing so publicly.

Going at it alone, I agree, is not very helpful in the long run, but it is
powerful in its own right, and necessary for quite a few people to get some
of the Natural senses back, before they can work with others again.

Daniel