permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The US is no longer food self-reliant?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The US is no longer food self-reliant?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:16:04 -0700

The myth of the US as not being food independent is wrong. Look at the data:

Grain exports, 2010: 107,323,000 metric tons.
Grain imports, 2010: 5,070,000 metric tons

So we export 20 times as much grain as we import. Grain is what feeds people.
Data from
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0848.pdf

Our biggest food imports, by about 10 times anything else, are fruit juices
(for soda) and beer (most of those are water, unlike grains). Hardly
something we are dependent on. Juices and beer are expensive, too, which
bloats the cost of imports, so looking at cost, not calories, will fool you.
But in calories? We are swimming in food.

So let's learn to read the data for what they really say, and not twist them
to fit a fear agenda.

It's a good idea to have several months of food in storage; that's a really
easy way to hedge your bets, as is having a good local food network.

In truth, food output in the Soviet Union declined 30-40% in the collapse and
afterward, not 80%. One source out of many for that is
http://departments.agri.huji.ac.il/economics/teachers/kislev_yoav/kislev-lerman1.pdf

That's still a brutal decline, but it wasn't that the USSR lost domestic
production. The collapse in oil prices from $70 to $25/bbl meant that they
could no longer afford to import the huge amount of grain that they had been.
The USSR had not been able to feed itself for several decades by then, and
had been importing 30-50% of its grain.

That is a very different situation from the US, where we are still exporting
a great deal of grain.

My bet is on a brief, extreme currency collapse (loss of faith in the dollar)
rendering the dollar essentially worthless for a few months while things get
sorted out. Put your wealth in things that are tangible. A currency collapse
will wipe out the paper wealth of everyone with investments and a bank
account--and disrupt commodities markets, which can disrupt food deliveries
and make farmers plant more or less, depending. But, as in the USSR,
Argentina, and lots of other places, currency collapses get repaired in a few
months or, at worst, a year or two. You just have to plan to survive that,
and adjust to the new system. It doesn't fall apart for long.

The US is much more food secure than almost any other nation. We've got other
things to worry about. Focus on what's likely, not on what scares you.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com