permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The US is no longer food self-reliant?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rob McDowell <redwine@charter.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The US is no longer food self-reliant?
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 16:13:29 -0400

Hello,

I'm usually a reader and observer-lurker if you will-but feel the need
to comment.

IMO it's essential to understand that human "systems" are only partially
designed and that part often will quickly morph into a thing that the
original designers never envisioned. There is always a system (or
rather, a set of intertwined systems) however chaotic it may seem and
through analysis its "logic" (as illogical as it may seem) can be found.
Systems are not based on moral (or evil) choices but are the result of
the interaction of many force vectors-much like weather-and
evolve/devolve to the extent that the consensus reality of the host
society allows. You get what you and your "web" will accept which is
why separation of one element from the larger society-however
attractive-will only result in the dilution of influence and power.

With people it's my observation that symbol and myth is more persuasive
than logic and reason, thus human systems behave accordingly. For
example, money is a systematic abstraction but very real when you're
getting run over by an armored truck. With that in mind its a necessary
tool to accomplish change on a large scale, but as has been pointed out,
it can cycle vastly in relative value. Investment in personal
capability and the creation of tangible trade items as well as effective
social interconnection is the basis of the reboot of broken systems, or
rephrased, weathering paradigm shifts.

Good intention is welcome but unconvincing in jousting with human
systems that are by definition without morality-at least as has been
demonstrated historically (one can hope...), what is needed is an
understanding of the interconnected dynamics of the system(s) and its
sensitivities to pressure. Successful strategies will generally be
integrative rather than disintegrative.

Off my chest ;-) I've enjoyed the ebb and flow of this discussion.

Regards,

Rob