permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The US is no longer food self-reliant?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The US is no longer food self-reliant?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 23:50:22 +0100

It is at least 20 years ago that I read a then to me new definition of agriculture and food production and it is not US specific but rather world wide :

"Agriculture is the conversion of oil into food through the use of land!" And as a further thought, it is only because oil was/is cheap that we could spend ten times more units of energy in oil to produce one energy unit as food. And thus, when the flow of oil stops, food production stops.

And imo this is one great reason the US was a top food producer for so many decades. Oil prices have been very much higher in most all other parts of the globe. In Europe we have been paying over $2 per liter of petrol and only a little less for diesel for at least a decade. This made it more economical in many ways to import American grain into Europe instead of more oil.

Similarly in the Middle East it was always much cheaper to import food than to desalinize more sea water needed for food production at home.

Things are a-changing and there are interesting times coming.

John

Toby,

The US is NOT food self-reliant. It take IMPORTERD oil to grow all the
food the US produces. Currency collapse means no way to buy feul, means
the combines quit rolling, and the shelves go bare.

With the just-in-time food delivery system we have in the US, a 'few
months to sort things out' means starvation for most Americans.

The US is the largest exporter of grain in the world - yet we only
export about 10% to 15% of what we grow. I agree there is plenty of
food - if you consider gmo crops food (I don't). Ethanol and wastage
are two huge areas we 'could' improve in - and where is the politcal
will for that? The one positive thing to come of this severe drought
will be the pressure to get rid of the ethonal madate.

I have no problem acknolegding fear and taking appropriate action.

Marjory Wildcraft