permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The US is no longer food self-reliant?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The US is no longer food self-reliant?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:28:06 -0400

On 8/16/2012 1:16 PM, Toby Hemenway wrote:

It's a good idea to have several months of food in storage; that's a
really easy way to hedge your bets, as is having a good local food
network.

All good ideas. Best to supply and grow as much of your own food as possible when there is no food network in your area and no possibility of starting one (lack of interest, lack of need, etc.).

My bet is on a brief, extreme currency collapse (loss of faith in the
dollar) rendering the dollar essentially worthless for a few months
while things get sorted out. Put your wealth in things that are
tangible. A currency collapse will wipe out the paper wealth of
everyone with investments and a bank account--and disrupt commodities
markets, which can disrupt food deliveries and make farmers plant
more or less, depending. But, as in the USSR, Argentina, and lots of
other places, currency collapses get repaired in a few months or, at
worst, a year or two. You just have to plan to survive that, and
adjust to the new system. It doesn't fall apart for long.

Could you comment further on what seems to be a pretty extreme statement, Toby? (humor mode ON) This is the kind of thing the tea party, libertarians and right wing republicans seem to hawk to whoever will listen, i.e. conspiracy theories, one sided political rhetoric, and the typical agent provocateur propaganda boilerplate (humor mode OFF).

The US is much more food secure than almost any other nation. We've
got other things to worry about. Focus on what's likely, not on what
scares you.

It is very hard to tell "what is likely". What are more of your predictions?

Other than that the only things that scare me are copperhead snakes and black widow spiders, both in close proximity to me on the home front; but then I still don't worry much about them, am just extremely watchful, cautious and eternally vigilant, just like driving on the highway.