permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sth East Asian Regional Conference

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sth East Asian Regional Conference
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 06:51:14 -0500

I belong to and manage quite a few mailing lists and they are great for long and sustained conversations.

But for reaching out to, finding, and engaging new people, Facebook is without peer at the present time. As of MAy 2012, it has 900 million users, which means that individuals using FB are potentially open to meeting and engaging likeminded souls among nearly a billion people.

Facebook is great for organizing meetings and events.

Facebook is not great for long and sustained discussions.

It is an appropriate tool for what it is. Mailing lists like this one are appropriate tools for what they are.

People who don't want to meet new people should avoid Facebook. People who do want to meet and engage new people, who perhaps never would have found them otherwise, should use Facebook.

Generally, I think organizations need --

+ a website,
+ a mailing list discussion group,
+ a Facebook page, and
+ a Twitter account

assuming you want to aggressively participate in the public conversation out there. Each of these four platforms has its own strengths, weaknesses, uses, and potential populations.

Bob Waldrop, OKC
http://www.bobwaldrop.net | www.okie.coop | www.bettertimesinfo.org | www.energyconservationinfo.org |
http://www.facebook.com/bobwaldrop
http://www.facebook.com/prairierosepermaculture