permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Humus

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Humus
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:04:38 -0800

The choice is not limited to agriculture or foraging. There is a 3rd choice
(if not more). Stable horticultural societies (gardeners, not farmers)
existed for many thousands of years but were ignored by anthropologists until
recently, considered just a brief transition state to agriculture.
Permaculture, IMHO, is an attempt to create a horticultural society. That's
what my lecture is about. It's pretty exciting stuff, since I think ag is
fundamentally unsustainable, summed up in two questions: Name one ecosystem
that is better off for having ag in it. And, how long can we keep doing that?

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com