permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Humus

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Humus
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 01:44:45 -0800 (PST)

The reason I ask is that I’m interested in the question of whether there is
any qualitative difference in soil or in the plants growing in that soil
depending on whether the soil is fed with organic matter from an animal or
from a plant source. But the issue is probably more or less academic
because, even if we don’t use animal manure, most plant materials are broken
down by soil organisms including earthworms, microbes and many others.
Therefore, it is probably impossible in real-life soil to find any plant
material that has not gone through an animal organism.

Cheers,
Dieter