permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Biochar
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:13:39 -0800 (PST)

Biochar is not indicated for every climate and soil and is not a cure all.  I
don't see any need for it in clay soils, personally.  It works in the Amazon
and it can work in places like Florida, with sandy soils almost devoid of
organic material (because it washes right thru the soils, or bakes off in the
sun, etc). Note that "terra preta" is a combination of organic materials,
minerals and biochar, and they all work together to create the end
results.The jury is still out, research is still being done, but biochar
could end up being very useful for stabilizing soils in Florida. One can
argue that we could just plant plants that grow well in sand, and that is
true, we could, and some people do. Understand that in much of Florida,
especially near the coasts, the "soil" is actually beach sand, with almost
nothing else there where it has been disturbed at all.   We are having good
results with gardens by adding copious amounts of organic material that is
well protected from run off and sunburn.  But if biochar can be sustainably
produced (which it can, from fast growing woody plants rather than trees, and
proper pyrolysis), it very well could be an important aspect to soil
building.

Cory