permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Humus

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Humus
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:37:02 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for your comments John.

I think the difference between compost/humus from an animal source and
compost/humus from a plant source is first of all that the former is more
concentrated, because a lot of plant material has gone into it. So it is not
surprising to find a higher concentration of whatever nutrient we are looking
for. The question really is, if the same amount of plant material were to go
towards making compost/humus without first going through the guts of a
foraging animal, would there be any qualitative difference? And which would
produce more humus in the end, i.e., which would involve the fewest losses?

If your reasoning concerning mineral deficiency and foraging animals is
correct, nomads would have to be healthier than sedentary farmers. I’m not
convinced of that. The argument about the superior health of the hunter
gatherers is probably exaggerated or based on a small statistical base of a
few archeological finds.

You are probably right that cow manure is different from earthworm castings,
but that doesn’t mean that the latter is inferior. Microbes are of course
involved in both cases.

If foraging animals serve to concentrate nutrients, so do plants. Since we
know fairly well which plant accumulates what nutrients, the farmer can chose
green manure plants for accumulating certain nutrients.

A few years ago, I went to a beach nearby and collected some seaweed. I will
never do that again. Even though I leached the seaweed in large amounts of
spring water, the salt in the seaweed still caused the earthworms in my soil
to disappear for over a year until they slowly started to come back.

Anyways, it is possible to grow food without livestock. I have done it for
15 years – over which period the soil has remarkably improved. Others have
done it for much longer. Maybe it would have been easier with manure, I
don’t know. Anyways, I keep on wondering about the difference.

Cheers,
Dieter