permaculture - Re: [permaculture] civility, respect and reputation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] civility, respect and reputation
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:24:36 -0700 (PDT)

I sincerely appreciate the respect that some cultures afford those who have
life experience - those who have honed their skills for decades rather than
months or years. In some cultures, these things are given real weight and
value - young people understand that elders may actually know and see some
things that they do not, and they approach those with more experience with
respect and an open mind, believing that there are things they can learn from
someone who has "been there, done that."

I have seen very little of that sort of awareness from a few of the young
people on this list. The conversation started with a critique by you, Kevin,
of a project you had few facts about and still haven't bothered to get.

There is nothing about how you have approached this subject that would
indicate to me that you have any legitimate viewpoint that has been well
thought out, based on "thoughtful and protracted observation" of what you are
questioning. Why should Scott or anyone else give credence to your viewpoint
when you don't even bother to find out the facts before forming one?

As someone who is somewhere in between youthful egoism and elder stature, I
do appreciate what those with more experience have to say, and I do consider
that just possibly, maybe, I do not know better than them, how to do what
they have been doing for decades.

In some cases, I have seen that I could bring wisdom or insight to someone
with more experience than I have had. But that is only after I have spent at
least a bit of time observing and understanding

1. what they actually did
2. why they did it
3. what the actual outcome was

Kevin, if you ever want to be taken seriously by those with more experience
and know-how than you have, you may want to consider that you could learn
something from that experience and know-how, and that it actually is worth
something.

It takes some people a lifetime to discover that for themselves - only when
they become an "elder" themselves do they realize the value of experience.
And some people never figure it out because they don't tend to learn from
their experience so it really doesn't ever come to have any real value to
them.

Best, Cory