permaculture - [permaculture] Traditional sustainable agriculture can feed the world, one locale and one bioregion at a time.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Traditional sustainable agriculture can feed the world, one locale and one bioregion at a time.
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:52:08 -0400

@Dan Pope
" I mean, ineffeciency is underrated, and what's the starvation of a few billion set against the hope of increased quality of life among neo-yuppie farmers? "

Ahhhhhh yesss.....those billions who will starve unless global agribusiness provides them with "efficiently-produced" foods, never mind the quality or true cost of production (do an audit sometime),
those same billions who have been eating a possibly gastronomically limited but highly nutritious diet using locally-oriented traditional sustainable farming methods, food prep and preservation methods that work magnificently. We have much to learn from those cultures,
instead they just get exploited and we write them off as backward
and inefficient. Take over their countries, set up a puppet regime, destroy their traditions, their ability to live a self-sufficient, independent lifestyle as they have been used to for thousands of years years and make them dependent on foreign aid and assistance
and cheap imports of foods and other goods. Meanwhile agribiz cuts deals with the puppet regime to take over farming in their country
using chemical farming and GMO's (remember the "Green Revolution"?).
What happens, big factory farms use their land all but lease free, export their farm products elsewhere and the people starve for lack of sustenance as they get left in the dust to fall through the cracks in the (new) system. Talk about erosion of quality of life and environment
and the fabric of their society. Look at Guatemala, countries with palm oil production, etc etc etc. The story is the same except that in Guatemala and all other countries in Central America the indigenous
folks were direct victims of a war "to prevent the spread of Communism in Central and South America" and they fought to protect their people and keep what was rightly theirs. And you'd do the same.
I just love it when some yahoo sounds off about the inefficiency of sustainable farming practices and how "we" need to use conventional industrial agriculture to "feed the starving billions". I have heard that argument so many times. Go here to read in depth, well informed, articulate opinion about this very issue:
These subject lines in the month of August 2010: