permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Movement thinking (was Designing a Movement)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Movement thinking (was Designing a Movement)
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:45:17 -0400

On 8/19/2010 3:14 PM, LBUZZELL@aol.com wrote:
Hi Cory and everyone,

On the military using permaculture for purposes that might conflict with
PmC ethics, a few previous posters have spelled those dangers in great
detail so I won't repeat it here.

I think you should repeat that here so we can see who said it and what the context was. If you're referring to some of the posts I've read
they can hardly be taken as gospel while writing off the need to
repeat them.

> I'm certainly no expert on CIA thinking or
military/corporate strategy during occupations, but I'm also not naive enough
to believe that the introduction of new agricultural methods by an
occupying army has no ulterior motive.

You're saying that the US military-agricultural presence in Afganistan is the same as it has been in Iraq (gmo/moninsaneto/chemical/pesticide
dominated) with certain mandates for the Iraq farmers/agriculture sector of the economy favoring US/international ag corporations.
How could you assume such a thing. Seems like you're shooting first and asking questions later, after the fact when you might consider giving them the benefit of the doubt, innocent until proven guilty.

Also, previous posters have speculated that if permaculture is introduced
to a culture by an unpopular occupying army, this negative attitude towards
permaculture might endanger future permaculture teachers in that area. I
have no information that this has ever happened, but logically I think it's
a possible result to consider.

I think nearly all of this is 1) unfair 2) paranoid 3) unnecessary fear-mongering 4) inaccurate