permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Movement thinking (was Designing a Movement)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: gavinraders@gmail.com
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Movement thinking (was Designing a Movement)
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:33:57 +0000

Great thread Cory! It's really wonderful to hear a bit about the work you all
are doing at Pine Ridge, and I'd like to hear what others are doing as well
to make permaculture more accessible and affordable for low-income people who
lack access to healthy and affordable food.
On our end, Planting Justice does urban permaculture design and installation
for and with those who can afford it in the bay area, and this revenue stream
subsidizes this very same work with low-income urban residents who can't
afford the cost of materials, our labor, and course fees. We've built nearly
70 such projects, and funded perennial/annual gardens, greywater systems,
chickencoops, rainwater catchment systems, etc for low-income communities.
These projects take place at low-income schools, affordable housing projects,
community centers, senior centers, prisons, and people's homes and always
include hands-on educational components and ongoing mentoring...mostly with
people of color in Oakland. We have loads of pictures up on our website and
on flikr.
What are others up to?

Gavin Raders
Co-Founder, Planting Justice
www.plantingjustice.org
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by CREDO Mobile.