permaculture - Re: [permaculture] on an ethics of Mr Pittman (and the US military)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kevin skvorak <k.skvorak@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] on an ethics of Mr Pittman (and the US military)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:39:50 -0400

hey folks,

before everyone gets too bored with this, i want to add a couple more
things.

1) i hope that we get to the return to the intent of original thread at
some point, which was the question of how we implement and communicate our
own principles and how that works for or against us in growing our PC
"movement" I am gratified that folks have seen this particular example as
useful in this. Rafter's original post hit it out of the park as far as i am
concerened, and was so clear and well reasoned that it deserves much, much
greater attention.

2) Whatever we may each believe, the observable facts are that this
(working with the US occupation forces) is going to turn some people away
from PC. Is it OK if we lose those folks? IMO it is not. I happen to
believe that the "radical/social justice/environmental activists" etc bring
ALOT to any movement they are behind. they usually think and try to act as
community organizers, behave strategically to the best of their ability,
have real passion, are willing to personally sacrifice money/rewards etc
etc. It remains a huge loss to the PC movement that it is percieved as a
"green capitalist pyramid scheme" by such folks. I also believe the fuzzy
logic expressed in many of these posts is evidence that we still have a long
way to go in regards to the collective strategic/analytical/self critical
thinking that is part and parcel of radical communities/social ecologies.

As far as the points Scott made below, re "third world" people having the
autonomy to think for themselves about these issues, i wholeheartedly agree,
and this is the reality that keeps me from feelinng too worked up about this
all. The rest of the statements Scott made about the minimal impact
that 14 nat guardsmen could actually ever make, only seems to go against his
position, and reinforces that for whatever tiny positive influence it may
have, the PR cost for us is not worth it. And of course i maintain that
any belief that PC trainings can do anything all all to actually
change/alter/transform the US military is pure magical thinking/fantasy -
so in the end, all we are talking about is PR no?

2) I am sorry that Scott has to feel attacked in this. It is certainly not
useful for anyone to feel threatened, attacked, unsafe etc. It is not the
most conducive context from which to embrace change, or help others. Along
these lines tho, I do want to call you out Scott and LL, for consistently
using dominating, dismissive, and (on more than one occasion) abusive
language towards others who disagree with you. This is plain fucking wrong,
and are the methods used by violent, patriarchal, dominating institutions
like the US military. Perhaps this is why you are so enamored of an
assasins' assasin like Mc Chrystal? And the patriarchal, dismissive- "you
are all idiots, and don't have the special insight i do" -perspective that
you and LL keep expressing, just does not fly these days, and you are
probably going to have to do better than that if you want to convince people
of your position in any case.

again,
with respect,
kevin